Goodbyes Come With The Territory
I’m a consultant. That means I change jobs a lot. I am in and out of organizations. I meet a lot of people, work with a lot of people and say goodbye to a lot of people. I do different things in every gig, even though I go into organizations as a “change management expert.” That crosses a lot of boundaries and takes in a lot of different kinds of cultures, situations, tasks, and tools. I love what I do. I hate the goodbyes, though. I hate leaving the organization and its specialness. I hate leaving the familiarity and quirks.
Every time I leave, I do a ‘Lessons Learned” for myself.
- What did I learn?
- How could I have prevented some of the things that went wrong?
- What went right?
- Which of my skills got used?
- Which skills did I grow?
- Which skills did I need that I didn’t have?
- What can I do differently for the next gig that will speed up my onboarding?
- What could I have done differently and if I had a chance I would go back and change?
What about the people?
- Which ones was I wrong about on first impression?
- Which ones were the biggest help to me? How and why?
- Which ones did I have the hardest time with? How and why?
- How could I have started differently to change that?
- What could I have done throughout the gig to improve my interactions with people?
- Which people will I keep? (I always try to collect and keep the great people I meet in each and every gig–thank goodness for LinkedIn!!!) How will I make sure that I stay in touch? How can I expand my interactions with these people going forward?
- Are there things that happened during this gig that are the same as past gigs?
- Can I leverage the patterns?
- Do I need to break the patterns?
- Can I learn from the patterns?
What will I do differently?
- How will I be different in my next gig based on what I learned in this one?
- How will I enforce doing these things differently? In other words, how will I remember to spot and change my behavior?
What will I do the same or do more?
- How will I enforce doing these things the same? How will I remember?
Count My Blessings
I LOVE what I do. I am so lucky to get to have experiences in different organizations and meet so many great people. Even though I find the goodbyes painful, I am so blessed to have had the experiences!