I know. I know. There is a school of thought that leaders can/should be good followers. I’m not saying that leaders can’t follow directions, or act appropriately within their hierarchy. I don’t think leaders are followers. I think leaders think for themselves. Think. For. Themselves.
- They challenge the status quo.
- They think about what they would do if “it were my problem.”
- They do not sit at the level in the organization and not speak up when something needs to be said.
- They step up.
- They take responsibility.
- They take risks.
- They fail.
- They pick themselves up and do it again.
- And they teach their followers to do the same.
Leadership is about how you handle yourself. It is about how you think. It is about how you act. If you do these things, people will follow you–even if they are leaders too.